Pages

Monday, August 30, 2010

KCAT CAN: To hEAR again

"It was only a dream for me to be able to hear again. When I learned about the Auditory Brainstem Implant, a device designed for NF2 to be able to hear again, my mom and I thought of a fund drive so I could have the implant done. We called it the hEAR Campaign (Help my Ear hEAR)..."

To hear again
by Maria Kathrina Lopez Yarza
August 30, 2010


It was only a dream for me to be able to hear again. When I learned about the Auditory Brainstem Implant, a device designed for NF2 to be able to hear again, my mom and I thought of a fund drive so I could have the implant done. We called it the hEAR Campaign (Help my Ear hEAR).


I started disseminating my campaign through emails to my friends and asked them to forward it to their friends likewise. My mom on the other hand, had her own campaign material, a calling card size board with my website on it, she gives out to anybody she meets anywhere, telling them to just click my website and share it with their friends.

My hEAR campaign circulated. It caught the media’s attention, from a news program, to documentary story programs and more media exposures. My items sold like hot cakes after those appearances. We were also given chance to join school fairs and bazaars to sell my products. More people learned about my condition and my aspirations, to be able to hEAR again is one of them. I was hEARd.

I was amazed how so many people were inspired and propped up my wish of raising money to have my cochlear implantation done. Friends, relatives, people I really don’t know, well-known public figures, spouses of ambassadors, students, professionals, businessmen, people from all walks of life generously supported my campaign.

More supporters mean more people praying for me. I strongly believed that prayers move mountains, and it really did. On the day of my cochlear implantation, almost everyone wore my hEAR shirts and prayed for the success of the surgery. Amazing, after the four-hour procedure, as if nothing happened! I had fast recovery, I did not feel anything unusual, they kept asking me if I felt dizzy, were there pains? But really, there was no pain at all. I even asked them, should I really experience that? All I wanted to do then was to eat after the surgery!

The support and the love I felt from every one inspired me to move on. And I feel fulfilled every time I share my blessings.

THE BATTLE CONTINUES

“In all things I have shown you that by working hard in this way we must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he himself said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.” (Acts 20:35)

Neurofibromatosis (NF2) is a continuing battle and my campaign to raise funds will go on. Using my God-given talent I am exploring more ways on how I could use it to help me support my medical needs.

Unexpectedly, more and more blessing are coming my way. The chance that I am able to write in this column and share whatever I can to inspire others; my recent TV exposure which inspired people not only here in the Philippines but internationally; the continuous sales of my products for my medical funds. And just recently, one of my dreams is coming true, a benefit concert for me. A group of young professionals who aims to help others by organizing a concert for a cause, offered to help me and this really excites me.

I would like to take this chance to seek for your support and join us in this concert, the Rock N Era featuring The Dawn, True Faith and Bamboo on Oct. 8, at Metrobar in West Avenue, Quezon City. Should you be interested, please contact my mom, Madge Yarza through 0927-245-9400 or email ymadge@yahoo.com.

Then the LORD God said, “It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper it for him.” (Genesis 2:18)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...