Pages

Monday, December 9, 2013

KCAT CAN: Make the most of your time

Make the most of your time

Everything we do requires time. There’s a time to sleep, time to eat, time to work, time to play, time to study, time to pray, and so on. Time is really essential. We need it, we have it but we can’t control it.

Time will keep on moving whether we like it or not but it shouldn’t define our life. We can’t control the continuity of life but we shouldn’t let time take over our life.

It’s still up to us. The choices and actions that we make from our time here on earth will define our whole life.


“Umaandar ang oras.” I am fond of saying those words to my family and friends to warn them of the time that might be wasted. It’s not that I’m impatient and want to rush things, but there’s something about wasted time that makes me feel uncomfortable.

It was after my anxiety attack in 2006 when I was able to completely understand the very importance of time; that every hour, every minute and every second of it really do counts. Back then, I couldn’t do anything at all, even eat my own food. Everything needs to be done for me, even just to change sleeping positions. I was really weak and looked like a sick person. And then it dawned on me that I’ve been in this condition for too long already. Months already passed and I was still lying on my bed. I desperately wanted time to stop because I felt like it has left me. A lot of events have passed and I wasn’t able to witness it – parties, my sister’s high school graduation, etc. It felt like I was wasting so much time.

But then I realized that just because “I can’t,” doesn’t mean “I won’t.” It was my choice to move or not. Even if I couldn’t do some things anymore, there will still be something else that I can do. I decided to sit on the chair more often rather than just lying on my bed and doing nothing. It all started there until I began using the computer, hanging out with my friends, getting out of the house and going to my therapies.

Because of this, I was able to reflect all the times I have wasted in the past due to my laziness and doing trivial things. As my friend Armin shared, “pag naramdaman mo na kulang na ang oras mo, dun mo na maiisip ang mga bagay bagay at mga pagkakataong hindi dapat sayangin.” Our past decisions may have greatly affected our current life and we can’t do anything to bring it back. As the saying goes, “Past is past.” The present is the best time to do what we are supposed to do because today will be our tomorrow’s yesterday.

“What makes us all equal is we are all given 24 hours in a day. The difference it poses is how we spend those 24 hours,” says my high school friend, Liz.

IN GOD’S TIME

Although time is endless, ours is short and limited. That is why after doing our best, we have to put our trust in God that He will provide in His own perfect time.

In the Bible, the book of Ecclesiastes explains it all: “Everything has its own time, and there is a specific time for every activity under heaven: a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to pull out what was planted, a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build up, a time to cry and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to hug and a time to stop hugging, a time to start looking and a time to stop looking, a time to keep and a time to throw away, a time to tear apart and a time to sew together, a time to keep quiet and a time to speak out, a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace.”

TIME TO HELP

One-year-old Jhaymerson Soriano was diagnosed with Total anomalous pulmonary venous return, a congenital heart disease. He has yet to undergo a 2D Echo, other lab tests, and probably an open-heart surgery for treatment. If his condition is not treated, his heart will probably get bigger, and that could lead to heart failure.

His parents are minimum wage workers who cannot afford to sustain their son’s medical needs. Jhaymerson’s parents are pleading for prayers and financial support for their son’s healing. Whatever help you can give will be greatly appreciated. You may contact his mom, Evangeline at 09461256071.

In two weeks, it’s going to be Christmas time. This is the best time to give and share not only material gifts but also joy and our time to those who are dear to us. Like what Peg Bracken said, “Gifts of time and love are surely the basic ingredients of a truly merry Christmas.”

Time is gold, treasure it. Time is precious, use it wisely. Time is priceless and once gone, it is gone forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...