Pages

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

KCAT CAN: Still glad to be 'Sick'


Still glad to be 'sick'
by Maria Kathrina Lopez Yarza 
March 19, 2012

In 2008, I wrote a blog entry entitled: “I’m Glad To Be A Sick Pinoy”.

I really am. We may not have more advanced medical facilities compared to other countries, but the love, support and care that we receive from our friends and family are incomparable.

I am lucky to have been surrounded with many caring people who devote time and effort to help the needy and the sick.


Daddy Joni and Mommy Tet’s son Baby Jon Viado had passed early in 2011. But they never stopped helping other sick children. They have organized a couple of parties for the sick children at the Philippine Children’s Medical Center where their son Baby Jon used to be confined. They continue selling the ‘Breathe Hope wristbands to raise funds. They personally visit bedridden patients and show them that they care by giving gifts and making  them feel that Breath Hope cares.

Jamie Martinez lived a life of poverty, but there has been no room for hatred in her heart. Instead, she engages herself to making life better by helping those in need. She has organized a clean-up drive in her community. Through solicitations, she has organized feeding programs and parties for the poor kids along the riles. She willingly donates blood when someone needs it, even if it is for a stranger. Whenever she sees someone on Facebook who is in dire need of help, she does not just press the “share” button, but also the “care” button in her heart, and extends help.

MORE HELPING HANDS

Rachelle Gregorio sells her baked goodies via an online store (Touch of Ellahcar). With friends, she organized a number of outreach projects starting with her Cupcakes for Kariton Kids where she baked 500 yummy cupcakes and shared it with the kids of Kariton Klasrum. From then on, she never stopped doing outreach projects such as Operation Smile, Toys for Joys, and Push for Education.

Jen Arellano  and Abhie San Pedro are both working in Qatar. They met online through their blogs and realized that they have the same passion for helping. Thus, they often did charity work together even without meeting each other in person due to conflict of schedules. They organized a book sale, a closet/garage sale, bingo for a cause, etc. for raising funds. When one of them would come home to the Philippines, she would organize a gift-giving and charity event. They’ve been online friends for long yet it was only in December last year when they finally met in person, in a chance meeting at that. Helping, caring and sharing can be done even without being physically present, and these two angels have proven that.

These are only some happy givers that I know of. I’m proud to say that all my friends are caring and loving people, and they are my blessings who I want to share with others.

May is my birthday month and I am not that thrilled to add another year to my age. But I am looking forward to celebrate it at the Philippine General Hospital (PGH) with my friends and family though a gift-giving event. This has been going on for six years now.

On May 12, a day before my birthday, I am having my annual MAY Birthday Project in 2012 by giving out toiletries, hospital necessities, foods, and toys to the sick patients of the Pedia, Neurosurgery, Pedia ICU, and hopefully the Pedia Cancer ward as well. If you wish to be part of it, we welcome donations of tissue, alcohol, cotton, powder, alcohol, soap, diapers, and other necessities and toiletries, and toys. Monetary donations are welcome as well. You can even join us on that day, and show the sick kids that you care. Just let us know, and we’ll give you the details. For details, call Madge Yarza, at 09272459400.

God showed us His love and care by sending His beloved son Jesus Christ here on earth to save us. He also taught us to love one another and care for the needy with our whole heart. And how can we repay that? By sharing and caring for each other and this bible verse says it all:

Said the King to the sheep: “I became hungry and you gave me something to eat, I got thirsty and you gave me something to drink. I was a stranger and you received me hospitably; naked, and you clothed me. I fell sick and you looked after me. I was in prison and you came to me.” How could the sheep do all this for a heavenly King? “Truly I say to you,” said Jesus, “To the extent that you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.”—Matthew  25:35, 36, 40


----------

Thanks to Tito Jim (Gi-Ay-Im-Im-Way) for the pic!

Please support Rachelle Gregorio's upcoming project: "Keep Hope Alive" - a combination of her previous projects: Operation Smile, Push for Education & Cupcake for Kids. With poster making contest, cupcake decorating contest, and a lot more activities. Coming soon.

Let me share Jen's recent blog entry:
"I am doing what I am doing not to get any sympathy or praises from people. I am doing it because its my heart's desire. This is my way to thank God for all the many blessings He has given me. He called me on this ministry and as a long as the seed that He planted to my heart is there, I will continue to help and reach people." - Jen Cleofe Arellano
I totally agree! Reaching out to people is more than giving w/c involves (not only money and time but) compassion, effort & love.

And don't forget to check-out MY Birthday Wishlist & upcoming gift-giving event


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...